Thank you for partnering with us to provide meaningful opportunities for your children. This page has been developed to inform our Civano Community School families of plans regarding the opening of schools for the 2020/2021 School Year. We recognize that as plans are made, some of those plans will need to be modified and adjusted as conditions around COVID-19 are still fluid across Arizona. As some of these topics are still being discussed and considered, you may find areas that are under construction. As decisions are finalized, the sections will be updated on this page.
Elementary Student Days Look-Like
- Rainy Day Schedule (students go directly to classrooms upon arrival) until students are able to play in large groups. There is a potential for a grade level rotation after the first week of school.
- Plexiglass table dividers have been ordered. They will be placed on each table. No student desks at Civano.
- Students do not move from class to class; restrooms are located inside classrooms. Procedures for moving about safely on campus will be taught for travel to the school office or play spaces. Only 1 or 2 classes will be scheduled for recess at a time and students have enough space to move about safely. The playground equipment will be open to students if equipment owned by the City of Tucson is open to children.
- The playground structure will be closed while in phase one or until other direction is provided. Any equipment will be cleaned following recess. Grade level recesses will be assigned for lunch and snack recess.
- The Youngers and Middlers will attend lunch recess from 11:30-12:00 and eat lunch in classes from 12:00-12:30. Olders will eat lunch from 11:30-12:00 and attend recess from 12:00-12:30. All play will be supervised and expectations for small groups and limited sharing will be implemented. We will ask families to send bagged lunches that do not require heating or special preparation. We will begin food service the 3rd week of school. At this time, we plan to implement “Grab and Go” style lunches for classes. They will be delivered by our kitchen worker on a cart to classrooms.
- Parents will be asked to wait outside school gates and follow guidelines for physical distancing. Parent pick up will be dismissed at 3:00pm. Walkers and bike riders will be dismissed at 3:10pm.
Middle School Student Days Look-Like
- Arriving students will be directed to the classrooms, fields, or crew circle w//reminders to adhere to physical distancing considerations.
- Plexiglass dividers purchased for tables. At the end of each class period, students will clean their area under the supervision of their teacher with the classroom cleansing station. During class periods, all students are welcome to use the station or the hand sanitizer for any reason. Students will enter and exit the classroom using social distancing practices. There will be no shared materials in classes.
- Hand sanitizers are provided throughout the common areas of the school. Students will transfer from classes in a clockwise rotation.
- Normal w/physical distancing considerations; encouraged to gather in small groups, maintain personal space; move to different areas if groups become too large
- Students to bring lunch from home that does not require heating, refrigeration, or special handling. School lunch service will resume after 2 weeks from opening and will initially be “grab and go” style lunches delivered to the middle school campus from the kitchen worker.
- Art and Music/Drama occur in the classrooms; PE will be escorted to the fields or crew circle.
- Parent pick-up dismissed at 3:00pm; walkers and bikers dismissed at 3;10pm.
For more information regarding Vail School District plans/procedures, or to find information for other schools in Vail, please CLICK HERE.